Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sweat Every Day!

When I logged into my computer this morning, the lead story on MSN is titled, "What makes us happy?" I had this thought in mind as I left for my run this morning. (yes, I know Mom, that I said I would only run three days this week and now I'm running two days in a row!) Needless to say, my leg is not 100%, but it's feeling better so I decided, yes, to go out again today, for a short 1/2 hour run, even though I had gone just yesterday.

As I started running, loving my new morning exercise routine, I started to think about what makes me happy. In the summer, it's something as basic as waking up and seeing the sun and feeling it's warmth on my skin. In the winter, it's so much harder and you have to dig deeper, especially in the morning, to find happiness ( that's why a heated yoga practice is so great in the dead of winter!). As I ran, I thought about my family, my dog, my cute little condo, my health, my friends, Hello Kitty, Howard Stern ( can you have one follow the other in a sentence?), the color pink, the beach, horses, yoga... the list goes on and on. And I also thought about running and just exercise in general and it's affect on your overall health and well-being. There is no doubt that exercise has a documented physiological affect on one's health, well-being and just overall happiness quotient. I have no material evidence but all I need to do is watch yoga students as they leave class and I can see that they've had a shift. And that has nothing to do with my teaching; it has everything to do with the fact that they were moving their bodies and shifting their overall attitude.

You'll notice that not many of the things on my list really cost a lot. Sure, my condo, maybe, but in the overall scheme of things, pretty cheap. It's more about just being grateful. I recall a recent yoga class and one of my favorite teachers was talking about his anticipation to try a new jam he bought that day ( he's Scottish so for him, this is happiness!) I thought as I listened how wonderful to be grateful for what seems like such a small thing.

I truely believe that exercise helps us access a better, healthier part of ourselves so that we are more able to tap into "what" makes us happy. One of my favorite companies ( read: one to watch!) is Lululemon Athletica. They are the makers of yoga clothing and products and are based in Canada. They have a wonderful marketing program and have some of the more positive messages out there. You can check them out at www.lululemon.com. One of their marketing slogans is "Sweat every day!" and I very much subscribe to that.

So, get out there today and move your body!

1 comment:

dfg said...

Hey K - tried this on my windows machine and mac - it's a bit hard to read with these colors - course it could just be my eyes.